Concern for the Global Environment
With the growing focus on protecting the global environment, the Ryobi Group believes that an important management issue is protecting the environment and reducing the environmental impact of business activities.
The Ryobi Group Environmental Policy
The Ryobi Group will, through the initiatives listed below, strive to avoid and mitigate various risks associated with the operating environment and work to reduce the environmental impact of its business activities, thereby helping realize a sustainable society.
- Identify and counter risks arising from changes in the operating environment.
- Endeavor to reduce environmental footprints associated with each stage of a product's life cycle and prevent environmental pollution attributable to such life cycle. Specifically, the Group will:
(1) Work to reduce CO2 emissions.
(2) Conserve energy and resources.
(3) Reduce or recycle industrial waste.
(4) Enforce rigorous measures to prevent environmental pollution.
(5) Reduce environmental footprints associated with procured goods.
(6) Furnish proposals on and otherwise promote environmentally friendly products and services.
- Comply with environmental laws, regulations, ordinances, and agreements as well as relevant requests from interested parties.
- Strive to ensure that the Group’s entire workforce is highly conscious of the need for concerted efforts to improve the environment, to this end providing all Group members with robust education on the subject and otherwise helping them raise their environmental awareness.
- Strive to preserve biodiversity and otherwise give back to regional communities through environmental protection efforts.
- Constantly endeavor to improve the environmental management system to achieve the goals of initiatives listed above by formulating environmental targets, executing measures to achieve such targets, and implementing revisions based on the results of such measures.
- Ensure that this environmental policy is understood by all Group members and publicly disclosed to external stakeholders.
The Ryobi Group’s Environmental Impact Reduction Targets
- Specify, analyze and rank each risk and ensure that risks that have been ranked as high (in terms of urgency and impact) are avoided or mitigated.
(1) 2050: Achieve carbon neutrality. 2030: Reduce the volume of CO2 emissions (Scope 1 +2) by 47% or more from the fiscal 2018 level.
(2) Promote the conservation of resources with regard to principal and other materials used as well as those employed in packaging, transportation, etc. Also promote the effective utilization and conservation of water resources, with the aim of reducing the volume of water intake (consumption) by 1% year on year.
(3) Enforce the sorting of industrial waste to maintain the recycling ratio at 99% or higher.
(4) Prevent environmental accidents that could lead to water, air or soil pollution.
(5) Implement the measurement of environmental burden associated with procured goods and use the data acquired to plan and execute measures to reduce such burden.
(6) Propose products and services designed to address environmental concerns (including those associated with manufacturing process).
- Reduce the incidence of nonconformity with environmental laws, regulations, ordinances and agreements or relevant stakeholder requirements to zero.
- Encourage employees to acquire environment-related official certification, including internal environmental auditor certification.
- Formulate and implement annual plans for environmental preservation activities.
Ryobi Environmental Preservation Committee
The Ryobi Group established the Ryobi Environmental Preservation Committee with the purpose of reducing the environmental impact of its business activities and contributing to the development of regional communities. This committee is the main driver of our efforts to conserve energy, conserve resources, reduce waste and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
In addition, as part of our social contribution activities, we promote the collection of aluminum cans and participation in the cleanup activities. Furthermore, we donate the proceeds earned from selling aluminum cans to the Ryobi Social Contribution Foundation.
Environmental Preservation Technologies
The Ryobi Group is engaged in manufacturing that contributes to a higher standard of living and better quality of life.
With the aim of reducing our environmental impact, we are moving ahead with initiatives that not only reduce air pollution, water contamination, and greenhouse gas emissions, which directly affect the environment, but also protect the environment at every stage, from development and design to manufacturing and distribution.